GLOBAL ONE (G1) – A rare brain-eating amoeba is being blamed for the death of a 29-year-old New Jersey man.

Health officials believe Fabrizio Stabile contracted Naegleria fowleri while he was swimming in the wave pool at BSR Cable Park and Surf Resort in Waco, Texas late last month.

The amoeba is contracted through the nose in fresh water and works its way to the brain.

Stabile reportedly fell ill with terrible headaches days later and was unable to speak coherently.

He was hospitalized and reportedly misdiagnosed and treated for bacterial meningitis, instead.

According to a GoFundMe page, by the time he was diagnosed, it was too late to administer the drug that could’ve saved him, although the survival rate is low.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, Naegleria fowleri is almost always fatal with only 4 people in the U.S. out of 143 surviving the infection since 1962.

The resort has been closed while the CDC tests for the amoeba.