UNITED NEWS INTERNATIONAL (UNI) — Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has sacked all officials of the Nayong Pilipino Foundation.
Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque announced on August 7 Duterte fired the agency’s entire board and management for alleged corrupt practices.
Duterte reportedly did not agree with a “grossly disadvantageous” 70-year property lease contract the agency signed for.
Roque added Duterte is canceling the deal.
Nayong Pilipino Foundation, a government body tasked with establishing parks promoting tourism, was marred with controversy in May.
One of its board members Maria Fema Duterte filed a complaint about a government-approved lease agreement with Hong-Kong listed Landing Resorts Philippines Development Corporation.
She said the contract was illegal and could cost the government half a billion pesos every year.
The Commission on Audit previously said the land in question did not go through public bidding.